Love it. Never imagine that rum, hazelnuts and sweetness can be such a perfect match. Not to mention the bread also has a soft crumb and is packed with lots of hazelnuts … Great sweet treat.
It’s easy to make – 2-hour sponge plus 1/2 hr first and final fermentations. Yet I think it is better to finish eating on the first day to enjoy a soft crumb because of the short fermentation time.
Thanks Bäcker Süpke for the recipe, also his son for translation! : )
Süßes Nussbrot( Sweet Nut Bread) – Make two 800g loaves
(I modified the steps a bit, since I am not sure of some German/ translations, the bread is fine anyway)
- The day before:
- Toast 300g of hazelnuts and chopped into about 8 portions for each (otherwise it’s hard to stick them to the dough as there are many. I skipped the hot water compared with the original recipe)
- 100g toasted walnut soaked in 50ml of rum
- 300g T55 flour (I used King Arthur)
- 280ml milk
- 17g instant dry yeast or 50g fresh yeast
- Mix and leave for 30-60 mins, until it at least doubles under 24°C (my dough was cold so I left it longer for 2 hrs)
- 300g T55 flour
- All of the sponge
- 60 g sugar
- 60 g egg
- 100 g butter
- 6 g salt
- Vanilla (I forgot!)
- Mix until almost full gluten development. Then mix in the nuts. 1st fermentation for 1/2 hr.
- Shape the dough . Final fermentation 1/2 hr.
- Slash the dough. Bake with steam at 180°C. Then lower to 170°C for 45 mins.